Sydney | Melbourne | Perth | India | UAE

Home  |  About Us  |  Pay Bills  |  Client Portal  |  Contact Us

Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143)

Overview This permanent visa lets a parent of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident of Australia or eligible New Zealand citizen move to Australia.
Visa type Permanent
Cost of application From AUD47,755 paid in 2 instalments
Duration of visa Since the visa is permanent, the applicant can live in Australia permanently 
Uses of this visa
  • Move to or stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
  • sponsor your family members to come to Australia
  • travel to and enter Australia for 5 years
  • apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
Eligibility Applicants must meet the following requirements-
  • Apply as a retiree (see ‘retiree’ for additional information)
  • For applicants: Be sponsored by an Australian citizen or Australian Permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia and is more than 18 years old
  • Meet the balance-of-family test (at least half of your children and step-children are eligible children OR there are more eligible children living in Australia than in any other single country)
  • Have assurance of support (this assures the Australian government that you will not have to rely on government assistance after entering Australia on this visa)
  • Meet the  health requirement
  • Meet the character requirement
  • Pay debts to the Australian Government
  • Sign the Australian Values Statement
  • Have health insurance until you are granted a Parent visa
  • Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
  • Be in the best interests of any applicants under 18
  • For sponsors: be a suitable sponsor (see ‘suitable sponsor’ below)


You can apply for a Parent visa (subclass 143) as a retiree if:

  • on 8 May 2018, you held or had previously held an Investor Retirement (subclass 405) visa or Retirement (subclass 410), and
  • you have not held any other substantive visa between between 8 May 2018 and the date you applied for the Parent visa


If you apply for this visa as a retiree:

  • you don’t need to meet the balance of family test
  • you don’t need to have an assurance of support
  • you don’t need a sponsor

Suitable Sponsor

To sponsor an applicant for this visa, you must be:


  • an Australian citizen or Australian Permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen
  • settled in Australia
  • 18 years of age or older


Usually, you would sponsor your parent for this visa. You can sponsor more than one parent. 


Alternative sponsorship arrangements

You can sponsor a visa applicant on behalf of a child under 18 if you are:


  • an Australian citizen or Australian Permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, and
  • settled in Australia, and
  • 18 years of age or older


You must be:


  • the child’s co-habiting spouse, or 
  • the child’s relative or guardian, or 
  • a relative or guardian of the child’s co-habiting spouse


Or your community organisation can sponsor an applicant where:


  • there is a relationship between the organisation and the applicant’s child
  • a senior representative of the organisation agrees to sponsor the applicant
  • the organisation is lawfully established in Australia
  • the organisation has been actively operating in Australia for at least one year
  • the organisation can meet its financial commitments