Sydney | Melbourne | Perth | India | UAE

Home  |  About Us  |  Pay Bills  |  Client Portal  |  Contact Us

Overview This visa allows you to visit Australia to participate in a course of study.
Visa type Temporary
Cost of application From AUD620, unless exempt
Duration of visa Up to 5 years in line with enrolment
Uses of this visa
  • participate in an eligible course of study in Australia
  • travel in and out of Australia
  • work up to 40 hours every 2-week period once the course starts
Eligibility Applicants must meet the following requirements-
  • Be a certain age if you are a school student (see ‘school student age’ for more information)
  • Be enrolled in a course and provide evidence (see ‘evidence of enrolment’ for more information)
  • Meet the english language requirements unless english evidence exemptions apply (see ‘English requirements’ for additional information) 
  • Have adequate health insurance
  • Have not previously held specific visas (See ‘list of visas’)
  • Have enough funds for the duration of the stay 
  • Meet the  health requirement
  • Meet the character requirement
  • Be a genuine temporary entrant
  • Pay debts to the Australian Government
  • Sign the Australian Values Statement (if 18 or older)
  • Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
  • Be in the best interests of any applicants under 18

School Student Age

If you are a school student (but not participating in a secondary school student exchange program), you must be aged 6 or older to apply for this visa.


You must also be:

  • less than 17 years old when you begin Year 9
  • less than 18 years old when you begin Year 10
  • less than 19 years old when you begin Year 11 
  • less than 20 years old when you begin Year 12

Evidence of Enrolment

You must include evidence of enrolment in study with your student visa application, or your application will not be valid and cannot be processed.


Providing a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

You must be enrolled in a full time course registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).


Applying outside Australia: provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each course of study with your visa application.


Applying inside Australia:  You must be enrolled in a full time course before we grant your visa. 


Packaged courses and CoEs

If you are applying for more than one course in your student visa application, you must include all CoE codes in the application form or your visa period may only consider the duration of the course according to the CoE provided.


You can apply to take 2 or more courses on your Student visa where one course clearly leads to the next.  Course gaps must be less than two calendar months, unless the first course finishes at the end of the standard academic year and the next course commences at the beginning of the standard academic year.


If you are applying for more than 1 course in your student visa application you must include all CoE codes in the application form or your visa may only cover the CoE provided.


Other evidence of enrolment 

You do not need to provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) if you are: 


  • enrolled in a full-time course of study or training under a scholarship scheme approved by the Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade: provide a letter of support
  • sponsored by the Australian Department of Defence: provide a letter of support
  • a secondary exchange student: provide an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student (AASES) form
  • a postgraduate research student who needs to stay in Australia while your thesis is marked: provide a letter from your education provider

English Requirements

International English Language Testing System5.554.5
TOEFL internet based test463532
Cambridge English: Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English)127154147
Pearson Test of English Academic423630
Occupational English TestB for each test componentN/AN/A

NOTE: The test must have been taken no more than two years before you apply for your student visa.

English language evidence exemptions

You do not need to provide evidence of an English test score with your visa application if one of the following applies:


  • you are a citizen and hold a passport from the UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland 
  • you are an applicant who is a Foreign Affairs or Defence sponsored student or a Secondary Exchange student (AASES)
  • you are enrolled in a principal course of study that is a registered school course, a standalone English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS), a course registered to be delivered in a language other than English, or a registered post-graduate research course
  • you have completed at least 5 years’ study in English in one or more of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland
  • in the 2 years before applying for a student visa, you completed, in Australia and in the English language, either the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or a substantial component of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at the Certificate IV or higher level, while you held a student visa.

List of Visas

If you have one of these visas, you can’t apply for this visa while you are in Australia:


  • Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426)
  • Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or consular) stream
  • Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) – primary visa holder only. A family member of a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) can apply for a Student visa in Australia
  • Transit visa (subclass 771)
  • Visitor visa (subclass 600) in the Sponsored Family stream or in the Approved Destination Status stream

Usually you must hold a visa that allows you to stay in Australia when you apply.


You might be able to apply for a new student visa if it has been less than 28 days since your student visa expired and provided this has not happened before


If you do not hold a substantive visa, you can’t apply for a student visa if you have ever held a substantive visa that you applied for in Australia while unlawful.