Sydney | Melbourne | Perth | India | UAE

Home  |  About Us  |  Pay Bills  |  Client Portal  |  Contact Us


Overview The Highly Specialised Work stream of this temporary visa lets you do short-term, highly specialised work in Australia. It is suitable if you have specialised skills, knowledge or experience not generally available in Australia.
Visa type Temporary
Cost of application AUD310 for the main applicant
Duration of visa Generally up to 6 months
Uses of this visa
  • work in a highly specialised job
  • bring family members with you, but they are not allowed to work or study in Australia, except to do a language training program
Eligibility Applicants must meet the following requirements-
  • Have highly specialised skills, knowledge or experience (see ‘specialised skills’ below for additional information)
  • Have work, but not in the Australian entertainment industry (see ‘work’ below for additional information
  • Be able to support yourself and any dependants
  • Be a genuine visitor (intend to stay in Australia temporarily, do the things you are allowed to do on this visa)
  • Meet the  health requirement
  • Meet the character requirement
  • Pay back any debts to the Australian Government
  • Not had a visa cancelled or an application refused when you were in Australia

Specialised skills

You can apply for this visa if you have specialised skills, knowledge or experience that:


  • can assist Australian business
  • can’t reasonably be found in the Australian labour market
  • will be non-ongoing


Non-ongoing work means work that is likely to be completed within 6 months or less, and you do not expect or arrange to stay in Australia after this time for any reason related to that work. 


You will need to show that you have the skills, knowledge or experience to do this work. Things you could show include:


  • a copy of your resume
  • any licenses or qualifications you have
  • a letter from your overseas employer explaining your current position and duties.


The Australian business or overseas employer might need to show that they have tried to find Australian workers to do the work first, as this visa can’t be granted if it affects employment or training opportunities for Australian citizens or permanent residents.


You will need to provide proof that you have work such as a letter of invitation, job offer, employment contract or other document from an Australian organisation confirming they have employed you to work in Australia showing:


  • details of your position, duties, or project of work you will undertake
  • the duration of your work
  • the reason why you are required to work in Australia
  • support for your visa application
  • your employment conditions and wages
  • the Australian workplace standards or Industry Award that applies to your position


You can apply for a subclass 400 to:


  • direct, produce or have any other role in a production that will not be shown in Australia (you will need to provide a distribution contract or other evidence to support this)
  • come to Australia for a promotional activity, for example:
    • an actor visiting Australia for a red carpet premiere
    • a rock band in Australia for a promotional tour but no performances


The subclass 400 visa does not allow a person to:


  • perform as an entertainer in Australia or support an entertainer or group of entertainers performing in Australia
  • direct, produce or take any other part in a production that will be shown, broadcast or performed in Australia (including theatre, film, television, radio, concert or a recording).


If you want to do these activities, you should consider applying for the Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408) – Entertainment.