- 1 WORKING HOLIDAY VISA (SUBCLASS 417)
WORKING HOLIDAY VISA (SUBCLASS 417)
First, second and third working holiday visas
|Overview||This visa allows young individuals to visit Australia for an extended holiday and work in the country to afford it. Consists of First, Second and Third Working Holiday Visas,|
|Cost of application||AUD 485 (not including health checks, police certificates and biometrics)|
|Duration of visa||12 months|
|Most suitable for||People who are interested in engaging in short term work in Australia while also travelling/holidaying within Australia. Includes multiple entry|
Applicants must meet the following requirements-
Note that these are the minimum requirements to successfully apply for the 417 visa. You may be required to meet additional criteria based on your situation. Please contact us for information that is suited to your circumstances.
- hold a passport from an eligible country or jurisdiction
- be 18 to 30 years old (inclusive) – except for Canadian, French and Irish citizens who can be 18 to 35 (inclusive)
- apply online from outside Australia
- not be accompanied by dependent children
- not have previously entered Australia on a subclass 417 or 462 visa. If you have previously been in Australia on a subclass 417 visa, see the second Working Holiday visa.
You must be a citizen of and hold a valid passport from one of these countries/jurisdictions:
- Republic of Cyprus
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
- Republic of Ireland
- Republic of Korea
- Taiwan (other than an official or diplomatic passport)
- The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
In addition to the above mentioned requirements, additional specifications apply for the second and
Requirements for Second work and holiday visa
- have previously entered Australia on a subclass 417 visa. If you haven’t, see the first Working Holiday visa
have completed 3 months of specified work on your first Working Holiday visa
Requirements for Third work and holiday visa
From 1 July 2019, to be eligible for a third Working Holiday visa, you must (in addition to the requirements of the first working holiday visa):
- have previously held 2 subclass 417 visas in Australia. If you haven’t, see the first Working Holiday visa or second Working Holiday visa
have undertaken, from 1 July 2019, 6 months of specified work while on your second Working Holiday visa, or a bridging visa in certain circumstances
What is the difference between the 417 subclass (Working Holiday visa) and the 462 subclass (Work and Holiday visa)?
- English requirement: While the 462 subclass requires applicants to have functional english, the 417 subclass has no English requirements
- Eligible countries: the list of eligible countries for the 462 and 417 subclasses are different. Please refer to the list of eligible countries on the 462 subclass page and 417 subclass page.
- Education requirement: Unlike the 462 subclass, the 417 subclass possesses no education requirements
- Age: All applicants are to be between 18 to 30 years of age when applying for subclass 462. In contrast, Canadian, French and Irish citizens can apply for the 417 subclass if they are between the ages of 18 and 35.
- Letter of support from the government: 417 subclass visas do not require a letter of support from the government of the applicant’s country, whereas applicants of the 462 subclass do (unless explicitly specified).